



**SAN JUAN COUNTY**  
**Marine Resources**  
**Committee**



**Marine Advisory Committees**  
**MRC-CAG-LIO**  
**Meeting Agenda**

**Thursday, October 3rd, 2024**  
**9:00 AM – 12:00 PM**

**Microsoft Teams meeting**

Join on your computer, mobile app or room device

[Join the meeting now](#)

Meeting ID: 288 841 854 70

Passcode: 4QpCMu

Or call in (audio only)

[+1 360-726-3293](tel:+13607263293), [537675866#](tel:+1360726537675866) United States, Seattle

[Find a local number](#)

Phone conference ID: 537 675 866#

*While this is a virtual meeting, a public meeting place is available at the San Juan County Beaverton Valley Operations Center at 1609 Beaverton Valley Rd in Friday Harbor for those without mobile phone or internet access.*

9:00 AM	<b>Convene MRC Meeting – Adam Parrott</b>
9:05 AM	<b>Public Comment</b>
9:10 AM	<b>Approve meeting agenda – All</b> <b>Approve MRC September meeting minutes – MRC Members</b>
9:15 AM	<b>NWSC Meeting Report to the MRC – Karin Roemers-Kleven</b>
9:20 AM	<b>MRC Updates/Business</b> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>• Open Public Meetings Act (OPMA) Training Reminder- <i>Sam Whitridge</i></li> <li>• MRC Member Vacancy- <i>Sam Whitridge</i></li> <li>• NWSI Conference Planning- <i>Sam Whitridge</i></li> <li>• NWSI Retreat Debrief- <i>Katie Johnson</i></li> <li>• Report on Vessel Surveys- <i>Frances Robertson</i></li> <li>• Update on ERTV Subcommittee Meeting with Ecology- <i>Subcommittee Members</i></li> <li>• MRC subcommittee updates           <ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>○ Outreach &amp; Education- <i>Katie Johnson</i></li> <li>○ Marine Stewardship – <i>Frances Robertson</i></li> <li>○ Plastic Free Salish Sea- <i>Karin Roemers-Kleven/Katie Johnson</i></li> <li>○ Eelgrass Protection- <i>Beth Tate/Katie Johnson</i></li> </ul> </li> </ul>

	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>○ Derelict Vessel Prevention- <i>Adam Parrott/Kari Koski</i></li> <li>○ Oil Spill Prevention and Response Preparedness-<i>Lovel Pratt</i></li> <li>● Other subcommittee updates</li> </ul>
10:15 AM	<b>Presentation: Sea Level Rise in San Juan County- <i>Tyler Davis, San Juan County Environmental Project Manager</i></b>
10:45 AM	<b>Committee member updates and any other business</b>
10:50 AM	<b>Adjourn MRC Meeting Convene CAG Meeting</b>
10:50 AM	<b>CAG Agenda –<i>Sam Whitridge</i></b> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>● CAG Review of revised scope for Friends Cascade Creek riparian project</li> <li>● Report on September Salmon Recovery Funding Board (SRFB) Meeting</li> <li>● New Salmon Recovery Monitoring Grant Program</li> </ul>
11:10 AM	<b>Adjourn CAG Meeting Convene LIO Meeting</b>
11:10 AM	<b>LIO Updates/Business</b> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>● PSP Updates- <i>Jason Lim</i></li> <li>● Discussion regarding San Juan representative on PSP Boards- <i>Sam Whitridge</i></li> <li>● On-site Sewage (OSS) funding update- <i>Katie Johnson</i></li> <li>● Year 3 LIO Funding- <i>Katie Johnson</i></li> <li>● Other LIO Updates</li> </ul>
12:00 PM	<b>Adjourn LIO Meeting</b>

October 3, 2024

MRC & CAG Meeting

Minutes

**MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance:** Paul Andersson, Dave Checkley, Kailey Genther, Olivia Graham, Adam Parrott, Lovel Pratt, Mike Ramsey, Karin Roemers-Kleven, Craig Smith, Beth Tate, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria

**Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public:** Caitlyn Blair, Tyler Davis, Katherine Dietzman, Marta Green, Katie Johnson, Kari Koski, Jason Lim, Mitch McCloskey, Frances Robertson, Kim Sundberg, Elaina Thompson, Sam Whitridge, Cindy Wolf

9:01 AM      **Convene MRC meeting**      *Adam Parrott*

9:02 AM      **Public Comment**      *Marta Green*  
Marta would like to discuss some developments regarding ERTV advocacy, we can do that later in the meeting

9:03 AM      **Approve meeting agenda, Approve MRC September meeting minutes**      *MRC members*  
Dave moves to approve the agenda, Sandy seconds. Nothing to add or change, all in favor, the agenda is approved.  
Kailey moves to approve the September minutes, Dave seconds. Lovel sent no changes. All in favor, approved

9:06 AM      **NWSC Meeting Report to the MRC**      *Karin Roemers-Kleven*

Presentation by WDFW scientist about Olympia oyster fossils. Should we get involved with this species' restoration?

And, do we want to send anyone to be part of the DEI committee? training between now and December

And, some information on the increase of Green crab in locations in Skagit and Whatcom

Craig: is there any link for more information about the oyster study? ACTION: Caitlyn can send something on that

Sandy: this paper may help – Hatch, M.B.A. and S. Wyllie-Echeverria 2016. Historic distribution of *Ostrea lurida* (Olympia oyster) in the San Juan Archipelago, Washington. *Tribal College and University Research Journal* 1: 38-45

Caitlyn: about the DEI committee, we are looking for people interested in joining a learning cohort that provides guidance, tools to bring back to your MRC. If any questions, contact Caitlyn at [blair@nwstraits.org](mailto:blair@nwstraits.org)  
Time commitment is 1-2 group meetings per month, some other review. Working with a consultant, the Athena group. Kick off meeting likely scheduled for October 16<sup>th</sup>. Olivia, Karin, and Sandy are all interested in the training

9:17 AM • NWSI Conference Planning

*Caitlyn Blair*

Reminder to register. Registration closes October 15<sup>th</sup>. Book hotel, email Caitlyn if help needed. Some fun collaborative events planned, networking time for MRC members. We're excited about the speaker line-up.

Sam: for those who signed up, please work with me to get reimbursed for your hotel and travel

Level: you can only register for one hotel night through the portal, but call the hotel directly if you want more

9:21 AM **MRC Updates/Business**

• Open Public Meetings Act (OPMA) Training Reminder

*Sam Whitridge*

Six members have taken the training, Sam sent out the information via email. Once everyone has done it, would be good to discuss implications in terms of how we conduct our meetings. Training takes about an hour  
Craig brings up the financial penalty of violating the act and importance of getting up to speed

Sandy: it would be good to put out a sign at the Grange when we meet to help advertise the meeting

ACTION: set agenda item for November to review this. Sam can lead that discussion. November meeting is virtual

9:27 AM • MRC Member Vacancy

*Sam Whitridge*

Aaron Boyles has moved away from the area; he was a committee member from Orcas. We can do the usual publicizing. Please keep in mind island diversity, we are very SJI-based now with no one from Lopez. Some discussion of how to get the word out – ask Jane Fuller for help, social media, notice in the paper. Paul suggests 'Lopez Rocks' and the Stewardship Network [www.lopezrocks.org](http://www.lopezrocks.org) , [erin@madrona.org](mailto:erin@madrona.org).

9:33 AM • NWSI Retreat Debrief

*Katie Johnson*

There were 40 people in attendance, Commission and MRC staff. We reviewed each organization and their strengths, challenges. Produced a statement about what the NWSI (NW Straits Initiative) is now which Katie reads in full. The Foundation is not included in the Initiative, but it's a key partner. The initiative is the Foundation + seven MRC's, discussed good partnership and how to collaborate. Data from the retreat will be compiled and available.

9:35 AM • Report on Vessel Surveys

*Frances Robertson*

All surveys successfully completed. Conducted line transects in the AM and PM; we'll be able to see seasonal trends in vessel presence. Data are currently being analyzed. Some challenges due to issues with Canadian air space.

Karin: how can we use these data? What are the opportunities?

Frankie: we'll create a heat map, overlay with resource maps and mooring buoys. Use as a tool to highlight challenges with recreational vessels. We are partners on a HSIL grant. Vessel usage has changed over time, this study is important to show that. Shows efficacy of different methods to assess vessel presence (like AIS, satellite)

Craig: Gary Greene's side scan surveys should show anchor scarring, would be neat to overlay with your survey data

Olivia: as you think about drone imagery, our team has done some mapping of our 5 sites since 2017. Primarily focused on intertidal but also some shallow subtidal. And some considerations for mapping from parks

ACTION: Frankie and Olivia should discuss this more

9:45 AM • Update on ERTV Subcommittee meeting with Ecology *Subcommittee members*

Sam: several subcommittee members are here (Lovel, Marta, Dave, Craig). We had a call with Ecology a few weeks ago, somewhat disappointing in terms of them responding to our requests

Lovel: Marta has created a spreadsheet in which Ecology can fill in blanks to correct data. We still find it important to pursue a review of the model for the accuracy of the effectiveness of an ERTV but also concerned about this model being used for future projects and studies despite its inaccuracy

Marta: Ecology acknowledged they had found errors that affected risk reduction results. It included 24 numbers. The changes may be minor, but measurably affect results They have said they won't pursue peer review. This model could be used for future decisions using State funds and affecting policy/regulations regarding shipping. We think it's necessary and valuable to proceed with peer review. We'd like to hear comments from MRC about justifying that

Craig: I support the peer review but must be realistic about what it involves. normally review involves subsequent revisions with Ecology is unwilling to make. The alternative to revising following review is to reject the study.

Lovel: One important detail is to approach the Governor's office with our request – Sam and I met with staff there

MOTION: Lovel moves that MRC support ERTV subcommittee in pursuing corrected values and a peer review from Ecology. Craig seconds

Adam: how do you foresee us showing support?

Lovel: signify support to proceed to next steps. Kendra is in touch with staff at Ecology and appropriate for that to continue. But a formal request would need to be a recommendation to Council

Cindy: I'd like to hear more about Sam and Lovel going to the Governor's office. Sam should come to County council meeting and bring this letter. Good to get Council's buy-in if you're in communication with Governor's office

-Lovel provides more detail about meeting with Governor's staff, discussed next steps, didn't request peer review

Cindy: when they went through methodology, made it clear they thought error was insignificant. I believe we need to push for peer review of that model. One idea is to do another study

Marta: need to go back with the spreadsheet and ask them to provide the 24 numbers we want. Some of these results just don't match with our response study. In the correction statement, it's referred to as a 'small change across the study area' but we want the new numbers for zones that are higher than what they've reported.

MOTION *restated*: Lovel moves to support the ERTV subcommittee's request that Ecology provide corrected values for tables in the ERTV Effectiveness Analysis appendices and identify next steps to secure a peer review of Ecology's model. Craig seconds (again). All in favor, none opposed. The Motion passes.

Sam will follow up after today's meeting to schedule a subcommittee meeting for next week

10:05 AM • MRC Subcommittee updates:

o Outreach & Education

*Katie Johnson*

Kailey: still moving forward with the youth position. Our goal is to have a draft (mission, position description, etc.) to review by the December retreat. Then, search to fill youth position in January

10:07 AM o Marine Stewardship

*Frances Robertson*

State of the MSA report is done. Now consider when we want to present this to Council. It's a long list of recommendations for work we need to do to address threats/stressors. Much of this work is underway by several entities, including us. It's a document that should help guide grant writing going forward by identifying priorities.

o Plastic Free Salish Sea

*Karin Roemers-Kleven*

Katie: we had a successful GICU (Great Island Clean up) this fall, 130 volunteers collected 1072lbs. trash from Lopez, SJI, Shaw and Orcas. Much of it was able to be recycled. PFSS is now doing monthly beach cleanups at Jackson, cohosting with local organizations. The next one will be hosted by the Orca network this Sunday 11am-1pm. Then Nov 3<sup>rd</sup> with Sherriff's guild. Still looking for someone to host in December. These dates are all on the PFSS website

o Eelgrass Protection

*Beth Tate*

Beth: Several MRC members involved in big new grant for eelgrass. Discussion (meeting today) about best use of eelgrass which will be damaged in Bellingham

Sandy: working to develop a warning (app) to alert boaters to eelgrass zones. I'll share with MRC in a month or so

10:12 AM o Oil Spill Prevention and Response Preparedness

*Lovel Pratt*

Most of our recent focus is on ERTV preparedness, discussed above

10:13 AM o Derelict Vessel Prevention

*Kari Koski*

Two drifting boats so far with onslaught of weather but both owners dealt with it. Discussion among subcommittee about having another turn in event. Meeting October 29<sup>th</sup> for NW Straits and DNR – collaborative phone call about events from last year and consider doing another turn-in. We'll get the Port in on that call. Upcoming presentation at NOAA marine debris meeting October 23 in Port Angeles and at NWS conference in November, we plan to have a roundtable about derelict vessels, we'll meet with subcommittee beforehand to plan for that

10:17 AM **Presentation: Sea Level Rise in San Juan County**

*Tyler Davis*

Our study on sea level rise vulnerability risk assessment has come out. Final report approved by county council 9/17. Full report at <https://engage.sanjuancountywa.gov/>

The purpose of this exercise was to identify coastal areas in the county vulnerable to climate-driven sea-level rise to help plan for the future. County has the FEMA maps of 100-year flood plains but now have various GIS layers for different scenarios. Looked at 12 specific sites known for sea level erosion issues and four Scenarios (2' and 5' sea level rise in the 1-year and 100-year flood plains, respectively). Tyler shows the 12 sites. Just False Bay on SJI, two sites on Shaw, several each on Orcas and Lopez. 100-year flood plain parameters likely to start happening almost annually. Tyler shows list of roads and community assets (e.g. Ol airport and Orcas and Shaw ferry terminals) at risk of erosion and other issues like inundation. Table 6.1 details building and other infrastructure in the county that would be affected. Story map, easier to consume than entire technical report.

Next steps are backshore roads feasibility study, looking at different alternatives to roads at four sites. This winter, we plan to share findings directly in those communities.

<https://www.sanjuancountywa.gov/DocumentCenter/View/30803/SJC-Sea-Level-Rise-Vulnerability-Assessment>

#### QUESTIONS

Dave: what does Anacortes ferry terminal look like under those scenarios? (Answer: Tyler can find out)

Frankie: was there a reason why only one site was looked at on SJI? What about Westcott Bay, White point road?

Tyler: this project started under county manager's office and then we absorbed it. Original 12 sites were likely selected as sites we needed to learn more about and we have more data for sites on SJI. If you look at Cattle Point and the Cape, county wide maps show those low-lying tombolo's will be underwater eventually as well.

Craig: any plan to overlay this with tsunami inundation zone map provided by the state? (Answer: not yet)

Olivia: any plans to share this report with local schoolteachers on different islands, get kids thinking about how their communities may look different in the future. Any mechanism to get reports to schools? Also the MSA

Tyler: we are strategizing how to bring these to the public, want to ensure we have a unified message/strategy. Children today could see up to 3' of SLR in their lifetime, children in our community will see these changes.

Adam: maybe outreach/ed committee can help

<https://engage.sanjuancountywa.gov/sea-level-rise-shoreline-habitat-infrastructure-adaptation-strategies>

<https://www.sanjuancountywa.gov/DocumentCenter/View/30803/SJC-Sea-Level-Rise-Vulnerability-Assessment>

<https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/0d1db5ad2d63476b83a14579c56be639>

<https://www.sanjuancountywa.gov/DocumentCenter/View/30868/Shoreline--Infrastructure-Resiliency-Framework->

10:40 AM **Committee member updates and any other business**

*Sam Whitridge*

Sam: quick update on the Climate Act Resolution MRC signed on to, discussed at County Council meeting last week

Cindy: We met last week and unanimously approved adoption of resolution to vote no on this act

Level: Friends of SJ's also formally supports the No on Initiative 2117 campaign. Must recognize that if we lose this funding, we lose construction funding for new ferries which would make transportation issues a lot worse

Cindy: we found the list of local projects funded due to the tax very helpful

Karin: I volunteer for the no on 2117 campaign, I'll be at Farmers Market this Saturday. need more volunteers!

Cindy: I'll also bring this up in the LIO meeting, but at Salmon Recovery Council we were introduced to an initiative from Long Live the Kings, working on coordination of non-profits and Tribes to shift more funding to salmon recovery issues. Also, PSP is dedicating a couple staff members to help counties in the midst of their comp planning to adopt salmon recovery funding into their plans. Staff member dedicated to helping local governments that are at the nexus of transportation and restoration, help identify funding sources and how best to apply for grants. <https://no2117.com/>, <https://riskofrepeal.cleanprosperousinstitute.org/>

10:47 AM **Adjourn MRC meeting, Convene CAG meeting**

Adam moves to adjourn, Kailey seconds. All in favor.

10:47 AM **CAG Agenda**

*Sam Whitridge*

- CAG Review of revised scope for Friends Cascade Creek

As a matter of process, must formally approve the re-scope of the riparian enhancement project. Sam sent out the rescope via email. Reminder: we partially funded this at about a third of the requested amount. Friends

submitted a rescope. The rescope scales back to project to focus on a smaller parcel. Lovel will abstain from this vote

MOTION: Adam moves to approve the rescope for Cascade Creek marine riparian enhancement, Dave seconds. All in favor, none opposed. Motion passes.

10:50 AM • Report on September Salmon Recovery Funding Board

Quarterly funding meeting last week, all statewide recovery grants were officially approved at end of 9-month process of vetting and review. The State awarded more than \$50million for 145 projects. Seven in San Juan County for over \$2million. Almost half of that (\$26million) funded by Climate Commitment Act. There's another \$23 million in projects that could happen if the Act succeeds in remaining in effect after November.

<https://rco.wa.gov/state-awards-50-3-million-in-grants-to-recover-salmon/>

10:54 AM • New Salmon Recovery Monitoring Grant Program

There has been a revision of how monitoring grants are done. In the past they were part of local SRFB allocation. Now program is being overhauled into a statewide competitive process for monitoring grants. They've made just shy of \$1million available for this first go round. Monitoring statewide RFP will be released in January. Still not sure if we'll have riparian funding again in the coming year, it'll depend on initiative 2117

10:56 AM **Adjourn CAG meeting,**