



SAN JUAN COUNTY
Marine Resources
Committee



Marine Advisory Committees
MRC-CAG-LIO
Meeting Agenda

Thursday, August 1st, 2024
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer, mobile app or room device

[Click here to join the meeting](#)

Meeting ID: 212 282 672 473

Passcode: ydbgAV

Or call in (audio only)

[+1 360-726-3293,,74688859#](#) United States, Seattle

Phone Conference ID: 746 888 859#

While this is a virtual meeting, a public meeting place is available at the San Juan County Beaverton Valley Operations Center at 1609 Beaverton Valley Rd in Friday Harbor for those without mobile phone or internet access.

9:00 AM	Convene MRC Meeting – Christina Koons
9:05 AM	Public Comment
9:10 AM	Approve meeting agenda – All Approve MRC July meeting minutes – MRC Members
9:15 AM	NWSC Meeting Report to the MRC – Christina Koons
9:20 AM	Presentation: Northwest Straits Foundation Updates <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • Nearshore Programs- <i>Don Hunger</i> • Derelict Gear and Monitoring- <i>Jason Morgan</i> • Nearshore Programs- <i>Lisa Kaufman</i>
9:55 AM	MRC Updates/Business <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • Marine Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) Update- <i>Kendra Smith</i> • Welcome new MRC Members- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • MRC Chair and Vice Chair positions- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • NWSI Conference 2024- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • MRC subcommittee updates <ul style="list-style-type: none"> ○ Outreach & Education- <i>Katie Johnson</i> ○ Marine Stewardship – <i>Frances Robertson</i> ○ Plastic Free Salish Sea- <i>Karin Roemers-Kleven/Katie Johnson</i>

	<ul style="list-style-type: none">○ Eelgrass Protection- <i>Beth Tate/Katie Johnson</i>○ Derelict Vessel Prevention- <i>Adam Parrott/Kari Koski</i>○ ERTV/Oil Spill Prevention and Response Preparedness-<i>Sam Whitridge</i>○ Other subcommittee updates
10:30 AM	Committee member updates and any other business
10:35 AM	Adjourn MRC Meeting Convene CAG Meeting
10:35 AM	CAG Agenda – <ul style="list-style-type: none">● Final CAG Scoring and Ranking of 2024 Salmon Recovery/Riparian Funding proposals
11:30 AM	Adjourn CAG Meeting Convene LIO Meeting
11:30 AM	LIO Updates/Business <ul style="list-style-type: none">● PSP Updates- <i>Jason Lim</i>● On-site Sewage (OSS) funding update- <i>Katie Johnson</i>● Other LIO Updates
12:00 PM	Adjourn LIO Meeting

MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance: Paul Andersson, Matt Arata, David Checkley, Kailey Genter, Brian Goodremont, Olivia Graham, Christina Koons, Adam Parrott, Lovel Pratt, Mike Ramsey, Karin Roemers-Kleven, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria

Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public: Kate Combs, Tyler Davis, Katherine Dietzman, Fred Felleman, Marta Green, Don Hunger, Katie Johnson, Lisa Kaufman, Jason Lim, Hannah Liss, Kat Moore, Jason Morgan, Frances Robertson, Alexandra Simpson, Kendra Smith, Elaina Thompson, Sam Whitridge, Cindy Wolf

9:01 AM **Convene MRC meeting**

Christina Koons

Welcome to guests and new members

9:02 AM **Public Comment**

Fred Felleman

We've been separately but jointly pursuing the goal to support an ERTV in San Juan waters. I believe it needs to be in Canada. Traffic the vessel will be serving is bound to Vancouver, and problem with Neah Bay tug is the funding mechanism. The Transmountain pipeline just opened its floodgates and came with a great deal of funding from Canadian government. The question is how to make it happen politically. There is a Canadian group in maritime research about to produce a report similar to work Lovel has been doing; it'll be an official document. It would be great if we had a forum to review this new report and threats to our waters to which we'd invite our representatives. Make it clear what needs to happen to strategically protect our waters, show the risk, and make sure our elected officials know who to talk to. This would be an expedient way to get the tug near the San Juans, but this timing window is short. I'd like the opportunity to further discuss this with the subcommittee

Lovel: thanks for coming and speaking with the MRC. Just to assure you, we're not at cross purposes. We recognize the appropriateness of Canada funding this. You have a great idea with this upcoming report from Clear Seas, I connected them with the Salish sea institute so they can collaborate on transboundary projects. And if appropriate, can we invite non-MRC members with expertise to participate in subcommittees?

Sam: I agree with Lovel, a great next step would be to schedule a subcommittee meeting, include Fred and Marta

9:21 AM **Approve meeting agenda, Approve MRC July meeting minutes**

MRC members

Everyone approves the meeting agenda. Adam moves to approve the July minutes, David seconds. All approve.

9:22 AM **NWSC Meeting Report to the MRC**

Christina Koons/KRK

Meeting in PT last week. Clallam Tribe Shellfish manager talked about work with Dungeness crab all over Salish Sea, trying to understand why some fisheries have collapsed, research and genetic testing among groups to see if there are separate species. Jefferson County MRC gave a talk about aerial imagery and kelp monitoring. Salish Sea institute is producing an emerging issues series, <https://salishsea.wvu.edu/emerging-issues-salish-sea-series>. Retreat on September 19th and upcoming leadership change. November 15-16, NW Straits Initiative conference at the Delta Hotel in Everett, a chance for MRC members to get together and share information and goals. NW Straits initiative bill passed yesterday, the culmination of seven years of work. Larsen and Murray are pushing for it. The Northwest Straits Commission meeting will be hosted by San Juan County on September 26, 2025. No location picked out yet. NWSC last came in 2023 and met on Lopez. It would be great to show them Jackson Beach.

9:25 AM **Presentation: Northwest Straits Foundation Updates**

Don Hunger

Update on NW straits foundation's work with MRC's, agencies, and consultants. This is a collaborative presentation

• Nearshore Programs –

Lisa Kaufman

Restoration and shore-friendly programs. Four core programs including nearshore restorations and shore-friendly landowner. Jason will discuss derelict gear and citizen science monitoring, Don will discuss the internship program. 2022 Milestone: 1 mile of shoreline restored, working on small stretches at a time, total 12-13 projects, plans projected into 2028. Working with landowners on Weeks point, slow pace dealing with archeological issues. Stewardship – ensure we have ongoing funding once construction is done. Vegetation or adaptive management. Fundraising currently focused on this effort, e.g., ensuring there's staff to water riparian vegetation. Shore friendly program – primary goal to reduce effects of armoring while protecting habitat. Friends of San Juans is the lead for shore-friendly projects here, we contract through them for many things. Goal to work with communities and private owners on projects they may find overwhelming on their own. Education to know bulkheads aren't best solution to deal with shoreline erosion. Friends have conducted at least 90 site visits. We're working on a development curriculum for land-managers. Education about what's required on a shoreline. Lisa shows poster available to intercept planning departments before they put in a bulkhead. Starts with outreach – beach walks, site visits, helping through engineering/design/permitting – all of that can be free for landowners. Then there can be grants, cost-sharing, etc. We require consultants who work with landowners to focus on setbacks and dealing with issues of erosions. Every report needs to discuss whether homes need to be moved back. We've been working on a series of short videos, we have six out now. Focus on native plants, trees & views

- Derelict Gear and Monitoring –

Jason Morgan

In 2014, we started restoration monitoring – physical and biological surveys. We analyze individual sites (28 restoration sites throughout Puget Sound). A lot of work in Skagit, Jefferson, and Whatcom counties. The derelict gear program aims to retrieve objects that are harming animals and degrading habitat, like fishing nets degrading rockfish habitat. A lot of funding from NOAA and fisheries. Jason shows map of nets removed. A lot of them in SJ's. Over 5000 nets removed, over 11 million lives saved each year in terms of entangled marine animals. Many removed were old 'legacy' nets. Now we have a hotline, derelictgear.org or 360-733-1725, anyone can report. Divers on standby to do the work. In future we want to have a reporting app. Derelict crab pots, we're losing 11K each year. Over 85% recreational, but some are commercial. The main impact is on the Dungeness crab population. Map showing where derelict pots are removed, not feasible to get them all, try to target areas of high-density. A big part of the issue is education – pots without weights etc. A lot of MRC members have been helping distribute information. Sometimes distributed with the crab pots when they're sold. Jason shows stats for nets and crab pots removed and acres restored in SJC – represents 40% of total work done

Don Hunger: 2-3 years ago, we got an AmeriCorps grant for a conservation corps in WA state. We launched a program during school year for 10 individuals – provided mentors for each student, monthly field trips, and training seminars with scientists/experts. Allow students to apply academic studies in real world projects, teamwork and collaboration. We've had three interns with Island, Skagit and Whatcom MRC's. We found that we can write grants for college students in conservation services, many students looking for internships (received a lot of applicants) and rewarding for MRC members to work with interns. We continue to write grants to fund the school-year based conservation corps. There would be an opportunity to have one or more members come out this fall/winter/spring as part of a workshop or working on a specific project. We want to involve MRC's more. We may look for SJC MRC to pay for transportation or some costs. Could be a pipeline for future MRC interns for SJC.

On grant-writing and collaboration with MRC's: I've been executive director for over 5 years. In pursuit of money for projects, learned we need to be specific – a project needs a location, timeline, and benefit. No open-funding grants. Donors are looking to invest in a County for certain types of work that'll benefit communities. Not just 'various projects'. I created a simple form to help with this: "what are goals/dates of projects? What's needed – partner, grant, in-kind resources?" the form can be emailed to Don. We're always looking for sources of corporation or foundation funds that can support restoration work. Typically, a grant proposal takes 6-12 months. These are things we need to think about for the coming year or for projects on which there will be a gap in funding

QUESTIONS:

Olivia: do you have a link where folks could submit ideas for proposals for projects?

ACTION ITEM: yes, Don will email it to Sam to distribute

Olivia: Do you have some of those materials about the derelict gear and catch more crab campaign? I can help take those to local business on SJI. Are derelict gear observations on the surface or underwater?

Jason: prior to crabbing season we reach out to all MRC's, we have plenty of those materials and thanks, here's my contact, morgan@nwstraitsfoundation.org. Legacy nets are identified using side-scan sonar.

Olivia: if there could be an opportunity for recreational divers to keep an eye out and have the information about reporting, maybe WA Reefcheck or local dive shops could share that with their network

Jason: some of our reports come from divers, e.g. one net found off Eagle Point by Joe Gaydos

Cindy: Ferries are having increasing difficulty navigating around crab pots. How much of that is derelict gear?

Jason: establishing lanes where folks can't set gear is difficult, it's more about education as to how to set gear

Kendra: I wonder if we could produce a map to show where the lanes are and make a request they avoid those areas for ferry navigation. Not prohibiting but communicating, just a lot of new boaters.

10:07 AM **MRC Updates/Business**

- Welcome new MRC Members

Sam Whitridge

Welcome new members Mike Ramsey and Olivia Graham! We're excited to have you both on board

10:10 AM • MRC Chair and Vice Chair positions

Sam Whitridge

Christina was elected chair in August of last year and Karin elected vice-chair, terms are one year.

Christina: we've been in these roles for about 5 years. We've seen a lot of growth in recent years, formation of new agency in SJC and talented new hires. MOTION: I would like to nominate Adam Parrott for chair

Karin: and I'd like to nominate Beth Tate for vice-chair. Dave seconds those nominations

Level: Beth isn't here today, may need to make sure she's on board.

Sam: some of us have chatted with Beth about this, she is interested but concerned about extra time required

- Caveat: we'll circle back with Beth to confirm acceptance

All in favor, none opposed, the motion passes. Thanks Adam, for stepping up!

Karin: it's been exciting to be part of so much good work. I'm not leaving the MRC, staying on as a member

Level: thanks Christina and Karin, you've been wonderful all these years. Kendra and Sam; you brought on the stability this program needed, look forward to continuing to work with you

10:17 AM • Marine Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) Update

Kendra Smith

Kendra shares spreadsheet and briefly discusses status of ongoing projects: MacKay Harbor Beach restoration, Weeks Way, Jackson Beach, Ocas Landing interpretative area, County mooring Buoy system. Agate Beach cancelled because road couldn't be moved. Some projects in a holding pattern not included in CIP because of funding issues. Need to submit to council at start of September; we can revisit at September meeting if there are more questions.

ACTION ITEM: Kendra will circulate this spreadsheet electronically so we MRC review over August

10:24 AM • MRC Subcommittee updates:

- o Outreach & Education— *Katie Johnson*

Two more dock talks, this Saturday on Orcas and August 10th. And, County Fair August 15-18th. ES will have a booth.

Kailey: I've been working with Sandy and others to develop a youth membership for the MRC. The Climate and Sustainability committee, formed in 2022 includes a youth member, 16-19, 2-year term, voting member.

We'll provide a statement, vote it in as an MRC and present to Council. We hope to provide a draft at September meeting. May not be realistic for the youth member to attend meetings in mornings while they're in school

Sandy: one response we received was that an exit interview would be a good idea. Also, since Cindy is leaving soon would be ideal if she could have an exit interview or some interaction with the next person

Cindy: I'd be glad to do that. I hope Kendra/Sam can help. I can offer that to the next person but I can't compel.

With the youth member, is that an ordinance change? I can get council ready for this

Kailey: not sure about legal procedures but it needs to be updated in our bylaws as an amendment

Level attended Climate and sustainability committee meeting: report on Initiative 2117, presented by Sarah Severn. [https://ballotpedia.org/Washington Initiative 2117, Prohibit Carbon Tax Credit Trading and Repeal Carbon Cap-and-Invest Program Measure \(2024\)](https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_Initiative_2117_Prohibit_Carbon_Tax_Credit_Trading_and_Repeal_Carbon_Cap-and-Invest_Program_Measure_(2024)) <https://riskofrepeal.cleanprosperousinstitute.org/>

If I-2117 is approved, the Climate Commitment Act will be repealed, and state agencies would be prohibited from implementing cap-and-trade or cap-and-tax programs. That committee plans to make a recommendation to Council to oppose the initiative, I think it would be appropriate for MRC to do the same

o Derelict Vessel Prevention- *Adam Parrott*

We'll be presenting on this at NWS commission meeting.

10:38 AM ERTV/Oil Spill Prevention and Response Preparedness

Cindy: Some background on what's gone on – a lot of focus on having Canada pay for this/having it stationed in Canada. Cantwell has been waiting for the Ecology report to come out. After that, data didn't make it apparent enough how important it was. I love the idea of a conference

Fred: it doesn't need to be a bilateral convention. Report will likely be done late august/September so I was thinking October would be an appropriate time frame. Clear Seas is amenable to the idea, not just another technical conference but different inviting politicians. Many thanks to Marta and Level

Marta: we really need to convene and get more partners, specifically the Tribes.

Fred: I've given up on Ecology, they know they're out of their jurisdiction and they put out a report that underrepresented the data and minimized the need. Their relationship with the Coast Guard is important to them. But now Ecology is not the audience, it wouldn't be the first time we had to get things done without Ecology.

Marta: They still need to be held accountable about the errors they made and come forward with correct values

Fred: but target audience for me is the Legislature, we want to make sure they get the right information and the substantive report once corrections are made

Level: meanwhile Trans Mountain pipeline spur is full . Between May 26-July 26 there were millions of barrels of Canadian crude oil delivered to our northern refineries -- a significant amount of Canadian crude oil being transported over water and delivered to refineries here

Dave: what's the route that Canadian tar sands come down and is there a tug escort for those vessels?

Level: Vessels go from Victoria to Port Angeles, then proceed to Vendovi anchorage or one of the refineries.

Condition of Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project permit is to have two tug escorts, but if they stop at Victoria before coming across, two tugs aren't required for tankers in the US, it was a special permit requirement for vessels from the Transmountain project.

Unclear if they have tug escorts when crossing Straits of Juan de Fuca

o Eelgrass Protection

Sandy

Sandy: this summer I worked with some HS students from the Salish Sea sciences program who were interested in eelgrass sea hares that clean eelgrass blades; these sea hares are in decline. We'll continue working on this

10:53 AM **Committee member updates and any other business**

none

10:54 AM **Adjourn MRC meeting, Convene CAG meeting**

10:55 AM **CAG Agenda**

- Final CAG Scoring and Ranking of 2024 Salmon Recovery/Riparian Funding proposals (Sam shares screen)

This is the meeting to finalize our scores and rankings, final rankings due mid-August. This has been a big, complicated grant rounded, over \$2million in funding including riparian funding. Sam provides a brief overview of the process and timing starting in March with letters of interest to the TAG, four SRFB and three Riparian proposals. Stie visits and preliminary evaluations in May, SRFB review panel completed evaluation in May and provided status designations for each project which must be cleared by that panel. At that time, one project was cleared – the Land Bank East Sound acquisition, and one project of concern (the Friends of San Juans’ Davis Bay), the others were designated ‘need more info’ which usually means project is in good shape. Final proposals were submitted by late June and all seven projects were cleared by mid-July. Sam reviews funding what’s available vs. what’s requested. Total WRIA current WRIA 2 2024 Salmon recovery allocation estimates (including PSAR and return funds swapped last year because unused by Agate Beach). And WRIA 2 Salmon recovery proposal budget, we have a little more requested than we have available. For riparian funding, Sam shares total funding budget plus proposed budgets – also a little more requested than what’s available

Rankings: Sam explains basis of scores and percentage of each component (benefit to salmon, fit to plan, and socioeconomic). CAG scores on socioeconomic benefit to Islands community

Sam shows ranking:

1. Jackson Beach
2. Davis Bay & Richardson Marsh
3. Land Bank acquisition in Eastsound
4. eDNA fish assessment

TAG recommends funding for all four projects. The difference between what we have available vs. what’s requested is almost exactly price tag of eDNA project but TAG wants it to be funded. TAG proposes pulling form request for third project and reducing by amount needed to fund the eDNA fish assessment, approx. \$84K

Sam spoke with Land Bank to see if reducing amount would torpedo that project, they said no.

Cindy: the eDNA assessment is important to determine which streams have salmonids.

Level: do we need to make a motion to support TAG’s recommendation or just vote on the rankings?

Sam: we need to do both, can lump together in one motion

Olivia: For the eDNA assessment, my team has eDNA data from five sites for past several years, glad to share those

Tyler: Thanks, Olivia - I'll follow up with you

MOTION: Adam moves approve the ranking with the recommended reduction of \$84 K from the Eastsound acquisition applied to the eDNA project. Dave seconds the motion.

Sam: for Riparian, if we fund the top two projects, leaves \$47K for the third, Lower Cascade Creek Riparian Restoration project. TAG was in favor of boosting budgets for the first two projects. Since then, clarified with Friends of San Juans as to whether partial funding would be helpful - they’d revise the scope. What does CAG think - partially fund third project or reallocate to the top two?

Dave: I like the idea of getting partial funding, if Tina says it can get the ball rolling I’m for that

Kailey: I think we should also give that remaining money to the Cascade Creek project, the Cascade falls is already protected, why not keep the protection going further downstream?

Kat: Or they can add match if they get another funding source

Kat: my only concern is that we’d need a scope of work reduction, I’d need to talk to the panel. And there are other sources for riparian funding, perhaps they could use the \$47K and find another source to match – then they’d have the full scope with our funding making up a smaller portion. Maybe they could partner with a CD for funds

Adam: if there’s a plan in place for how they’re going to spend that extra money I’m in favor

Sam: Ok then I’ll circle back with Tina and Kat and the panel and ensure there’s a plan toward implementation

Kendra: consideration for sea level rise given its location, there will be inland migration of the sea in that location

MOTION: Adam moves to fund all three projects proposed for riparian funding, allocating \$47K to Cascade Creek on condition of a reasonable plan being put together. Dave seconds. All in favor

Sam: thanks everyone. This round represents a significant investment. great to take advantage of Riparian funding.

11:24 AM **Adjourn CAG meeting**